July 11, 2010

The Dangers of Passive Listening

Hadley has been sick with a summer cold for the last five days: headache, fever, sore throat, sneezing, coughing, and now conjunctivitis and an ear infection. She has not been a happy camper, and the long days at home plus long nights being awake have taken a toll on us all (read: we're all cranky). Early this morning, she took out her left aid after complaining of pain in that ear, and put it down on her chair. I was mediating a property dispute between her brothers (item in question: recycling truck) while unloading the dishwasher and making breakfast, so noted to myself that one aid was out. Sometime later, Hadley left her seat to throw away her medical detritus (used tissues, cough drop wrappers, and hidden candy). I was vaguely aware that she said to me, "I'm wrapping my aid in tissue to keep it safe", but was in the middle of doing laundry and not in a position to take her aids.

Yes, we all know what happened next.

Sometime later in the day, I was fortunate enough to question why the mound of used tissues I had just picked up from the kitchen counter felt so heavy. A few synapses clicked, and I was able to rescue the abandoned hearing aid. It is now resting comfortably in the Dry & Store, where it should be.

Hopefully, the antibiotics she started today will kick in for Hadley to resume some activities tomorrow. At least we're not missing beach days at the end of the summer...

No comments:

Post a Comment